My Cycling Team

My Cycling Team

Monday, May 3, 2010

week 12, 48 miles, PV and car wash fundraising







































We did 48 miles in Palos Verdes, as a break from our previously more challenging climbs and longer distances. PV is one of my favorite rides because of the breathtaking ocean view, beautiful homes, and long downhills. Loved it, loved it, loved it!!! One of the things I admired in the homes was the garden. I saw several marvelous displays of fuschia spring hills. I also saw a peacock in a frontyard. Is that even legal to keep them as pets?Admiring the details in these majestic homes made my climbs easier. In addition, I discovered a way to climb more efficiently. Having clipless pedals is a huge advantage by focusing on pulling instead of pushing on every pedal. I found that I didn't have to work as hard.

Midway through our ride, I developed a leg cramp on my right calf. I've suffered from it since I was a little girl by waking up in the middle of the night because of severe contraction from my calf and I would cry out in agony. My poor husband wakes up because of my screams. My mom suffers from leg cramps too but she gets it only during the daytime. This was my first time that I felt it awake. Does anybody know how to remedy a leg cramp?

Dallas, our speedy downhill guru (he can go up to 50mph), came up to me during one of our SAG stops and said, "Once you make that turn in Hawthorne, rip it!" This was my opportunity I had been long waiting for to break my top speed. I was very stoked that I beat my fastest downhill record of 32mph to 38.9mph. This was 3 miles worth of downhill without sharp turns.

Other moments during our ride:
funniest moment-I yelled out "Go Team!" A horse and a chicken responded by making their animal sounds. We didn't know we had an audience.

jaw dropping moment-seeing a cyclist with 7 sports bottles: 4 on his bike, 2 behind his seat, and 1 in the backpocket of his jersey. I wondered how long he was cycling for.

The next day after training, I had a car wash fundraising event in Lakewood. My team of hardworkers washed several cars, vans, and trucks. Since I had 6 hours of sunexposure without using sunscreen, I got sunburned. It's hella painful! My husband, Randy, was designated to hold the sign in front of the parking lot to get people's attention. He got honks from drivers passing by and women happily waving to him. I felt a lot of love and support because many relatives and a couple of high school friends showed up to get their cars washed. Thank you so much! We made $208. Every dollar counts...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I didn't make it to your car wash. One of my friends came down and I spent the day with her and before I knew it, your car wash was over.

    ReplyDelete