My Cycling Team

My Cycling Team

Sunday, May 30, 2010

last training

In the entire season, I am proud to have missed only 1 training and it was due to a fundraising, my garage sale. My total fundraising is $4652.73.

The last time my team did Rose Bowl Pasadena about 3 months ago, it was pouring rain with some hail. It was a nice weather change for our last training. We did 35 miles since we are weaning down a week before the event. This may seem an easy ride, but we still had 1 flat tire and a bike crash. Our coach was leading our paceline of 7 people and he was slowing down to make a left turn but didn't warn the group. Therefore, the person behind him stopped suddenly and this created a domino effect. The 3rd and 4th person fell and thankfully no major injuries, just road rashes. I was the last person in the paceline so I didn't get affected. Coach Charlie changed the tube from the flat tire. He did the whole thing in about 5 minutes, whereas last week, it took 3 novice tire-changing cyclists (I was one of them) 20 minutes. It was an educational experience.

When I was in the emergency department two weeks ago after my bike accident, I was instructed to keep the wound from my elbow bandaged the entire time even when I take a shower. The problem with this method is it keeps the wound moist which does not allow healing. When I went to my bike shop, one of the workers who is a cyclist, always gives me valuable tips. He told me about aloe vera. This plant has healing properties containing numerous vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and natural sugars which may be antiinflammatory and antimicrobial. Aloe vera has been used for wounds, burns, and indigestion for more than 3,500 years. I bought my plant from Home Depot. You slice a leaf in half vertically and slap it on the rash, keep it on overnight or all day then just let it air dry. I had also been using a massage oil for joints and muscle aches. This was recommended by Guru Carlos. The ingredients are all-natural and it feels minty when applied on the skin. There's a warmth feeling also.

Another valuable tool I learned at the bike shop is to clean the bike after every ride to wipe off residue from the sports drink. The stickiness from the sugar can get stuck on the chains. To effectively clean the bike use a polisher and wipe off the bike using a hand towel. It's also very important to lubricate the chain after every 150 miles.

Looking at where I started during our first training in february and to where I have come, it has been an amazing journey. I have met such giving wonderful people from the coaches, mentors, and participants. I have also felt so much love from family and friends from all of your support with prayers, thoughts, donations, lending a hand with fundraising, and encouragement. I sincerely thank you.

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, Tricia. You are such an amazing person. ::big big hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your success! I am looking forward to that feeling in October when I do my century ride. Thanks for the advice about the riding shorts and bike seat. Another quick question: what brand are the cycling knickers you used for the century ride? I have been looking for knickers that come over the knee everywhere, but all the shops in my area only have the short-short womens' cycling shorts. Again, congratulations! You accomplished something MAJOR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My knickers was bought from Performance Bike shop and the brandname is called "performance women's"

    ReplyDelete