My Cycling Team

My Cycling Team

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

midweek ride

Bike-used as a form of competitive and/or recreational sport, cardiovascular exercise, a way to commute, a way of being "green," to build muscles, get fresh air, being closer to nature, feeling of freedom, testing your limits, a great way to meet people and make new friends, to clear your head, and food for the soul. Yet, despite all of the advantages of riding a bicycle, there is VERY limited access of bike lanes. Worse, there is ZERO respect from majority of the drivers. I use a ROAD bike, meaning it's meant to be out on the ROAD with other cars. I don't know if drivers think bikes are meant for the sidewalk or they are just really impatient or are always in a hurry. These drivers like to honk, skid pass you, give you the evil eye, or give you the "bird." The honking makes me jump because it's so loud and it suprises me.

I was excited to leave the house this afternoon after Randy left for work to ride my bike and visit my friend who is dying of brain cancer. Unfortunately, I came home feeling disappointed because I didn't get to see her. I had to make a detour because the "bicyling" route provided by mapquest had me take Lakewood Blvd through the traffic circle. The traffic at the time was insanely crazy. Lakewood Blvd. has a long stretch of road with the 405 freeway at the end of a tunnel. Cars were flying in this area and wanting to merge into the freeway. I was thrilled to learn that there is a bicycling route option in mapquest but was very disappointed to learn that the route given was VERY unsafe.

When there were no bike lanes, I was forced to take the road less traveled at times just to be "safer" so I would take the sidewalk. Ironically, the road is sometimes uneven with cracks and bumps and leaves from trees on the side that can hit your face if you're not careful. I needed to outsmart the road and I had to take shortcuts such as the gas station or through a residential area. I hate taking the pedestrian cross street because you have to push the cross street button then readjust your bike so it points to the right direction. This meant I would have to lift my bike off the ground while I walk with it doing that. I felt silly everytime!

Riding alone definitely heightens your senses since you have to listen to cars, always looking ahead, around, and in front of you, watching out for obstacles, pedestrians, and other bikers. I needed to stay alert EVERY second ready for quick responses and making the best judgement especially the timing of stopping and taking off from stop lights.

I notice that 75% of bikers do NOT wear helmets. I don't get that! Is it worth the risk of being too cool to wear a helmet in exchange for your own life? I have heard of many stories where a person gets in an accident because they get dinged by a car and their helmet ends up breaking in half from the fall. What if the helmet wasn't there? What gets broken then?

Needless to say after this chapter of venting, I had a great ride. My distance was 27 miles in 1'50" time. I did accomplish checking on my parents' house and I did get my exercise, midweek training, and beautiful fresh air.

Thank you for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I love that they have the bike route option but I'm sorry it didn't quite work out for you. Like you, I wish Southern California was more 'bike friendly' and safer for bikers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting my first day of TNT training this Saturday. Our Century ride will be in Cocoa, FL. I just read all of your blog entries. Thank you for sharing; it is a great introduction to what I will be experiencing.

    I have a few questions though: does your butt hurt from the bike seat? Everyone keeps telling me I'm going to quit because the road bike seats are hard, uncomfortable, and painful. What do you do to make the seat more comfortable? Also, do your hands hurt from the vibration in the handlebars? What do you eat in the morning before your weekly ride? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jia: Thank you. I really appreciate your positive feedback.
    @Mary: thanks Girl for your support ALL the time. you're the BEST!
    @Shana: Congratulations on signing-up to TNT. Just follow what they tell you and guaranteed, you will succeed. Your butt gets numb during a long ride. I just adjust and move around a lot during the ride. Don't be fooled by thinking the softest seat is the most comfortable. It might feel comfortable at first but after awhile your butt will sink into the seat and would make it more uncomfortable. though the seat looks narrow and you might think that it won't fit your butt, what's important is your sitting bones. therefore, the size of your butt does not matter. your hands may hurt from gripping on to the handlbars too tightly especially when you are going down on a steep hill since you may need to use your breaks. Also, if the road is bumpy you would hold on to your handle bars more tightly to make sure you get a good balance and not fall off your bike. Just make sure to relax when you are riding especially on the arms and shoulders. be aware of any tension because you can feel really sore during and after the ride. change hand positions frequently so you won't get stiff. i'd be happy to answer more questions. Have a great ride this saturday.

    ReplyDelete