My Cycling Team

My Cycling Team

Monday, May 24, 2010

nasty fall














Last wednesday I had my worst fall. It was my midweek training in the riverbed by my house. I was riding back towards the parking lot when I wanted to try a new move-riding hands free. I've seen a few other cyclists do it and everytime I witnessed it, I was in awe. I was inspired by the new asphalt, the flat road, and the free of traffic by other cyclists and runners. I tried riding hands free and succeeded. Everytime I tried it, I made my new move longer. I became overconfident and pedaled faster when my handlebars swiveled. I tried to grab on to the handlebars but ended up falling on my left side-hard! I stayed on the ground and started feeling the pain on my left elbow creep up. I had to hold on to my left arm with my right hand. A passerby approached me and asked if I needed help. All I could do was shake or nod my head with her questions since I was already crying nonstop. I had a million thoughts going through my mind: possible left elbow fracture, infection from a really nasty road rash, I had to drop out of my bike event which was only 2 weeks away, why did I try that new move, not again. Other passers by looked on and offered their help. I felt so embarassed. A man reached out his hand to help me get up but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it on my own. My watch's wrist band broke. It was handed to me. The first good samaritan stayed with me and walked my bike towards the parking lot.

I called my husband, Randy, and luckily his work let him go to take care of me. I didn't want to leave my bike on the rack if I drove myself to the ED so I drove home first. Fortunately, I only live 3 minutes away from the park. Once I got to our driveway, I let it all out. I cried like I haven't done in a long time. Why now?

Randy called my and his family to tell them about the accident. Great, now everyone's going to feel worried. I didn't want anybody else to know. His mom and aunt actually came to get me since they were closer and Randy would just meet us at the hospital. While waiting for my in-laws, I managed to take my bike off the rack one-handed and gathered things I needed in case the wait was long in the ED.

The xray on my elbow did not show any fracture. I did have an avulsion and almost needed stitches. Since the tear was really small, the nurse practitioner decided to just let it close on its own. I prefered that idea. The effects from that fall is a large bruise on my left upper thigh, muscle strain on my left chest and left shoulder, and a large road rash on my left elbow.

I was determined to pursue with the saturday training since it's our hardest longest ride this season-80 miles. Surprisingly, I pulled it off. On friday at work, a co-worker of mine, Carlos Aguado, who happens to have a passion for healing and massage therapy took the liberty to utilize his healer's touch on me. I really planned to get a massage after work, but after my massage session with Carlos, I felt better. He also used a tuning fork as a means of alternative medicine. To learn more, log on to http://www.biosonics.com/ Part of my healing also stems from the TLC I received from Randy. He taught me to face directly at my rash when hydrogen peroxide is poured on the area. Once the solution touches my skin, it burns. I do a little dance while the sizzling from the solution is dissipating. Then he dabs the residual with tissue and apply neosporin. This is a daily routine until now. I wish for my full recovery real soon.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you didn't seriously injure yourself. I cringed when I saw that picture. ::hugs::

    I am wishing you a very speedy recovery, girl.

    ReplyDelete