My Cycling Team

My Cycling Team

Sunday, April 18, 2010

week 10, Malibu, 60 miles




































I hesitated to join the faster group after Coach Charlie talked about the challenges ahead of us. I made the conscious decision to move up a ladder last week, so there's no turning back now.

Malibu is one of the most beautiful rides we have done because of its serenity and beauty. Our climb to Encinal canyon was meditative and peaceful. Since we can go on our own pace with climbs, it was just me and the mountain. I could hear the birds chirping, my huffing and puffing, my heart beating 100 miles a minute, and my pedaling. I look around from time to time to distract me from the numbness on my buttocks or the soreness from my shoulders. I kept at my own steady pace. I never felt I had to push really hard like I did at an 11% grade the last time we did Malibu. There were several elite riders passing me by who made the climb look as if they were going downhill. They pedaled smoothly with ease. It made me feel like a wimp but it also motivated me to keep going. One of the riders stroke up a conversation with me, "Are you with Team In Training also?" I proudly responded, "Yes, I am." He said, "You guys are doing a great job." That was definitely a pat on the back. There were also riders coming downhill and I received smiles or a thumbs up.

Mission moment this week: a story was shared about an 8 year old girl who wished to shave her head for the sake of her classmate who was teased in school. Her classmate lost his hair due chemotherapy for his battle with Leukemia. Her and 6 other classmates joined this self-sacrifice. That story carried with me during my climb in Encinal Canyon and I actually became emotional and got choked up about it.

Assistant Coach Scott commented after our ride, "You were on fire!" I was 3rd place out of 9 in my middle group.

One of our teammates just had an inguinal hernia repair a few weeks ago and she already started training again. Her willpower is amazing and her comeback is incredible.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can only imagine how beautiful it would be to ride in that area. I am so proud of you for sticking with the faster group, girl!

    I can't believe you did 60 miles - you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete